Pages

The Collection - The Disease

Dear Marjorie - My husband is 46 years old and spends most of his time playing with toy trains. He doesn't pay any attention to me these days.

Dear M - You have my deepest sympathy! Unfortunately, this condition is well known and is usually terminal. Very few people ever fully recover. However, you can turn this situation to your advantage! Trainaholics are so oblivious to their surroundings that you can bring as many men back to the house as you want - your man will never know!


Whatever you do though, don't get rid of your train fanatic - they are notoriously good at paying the bills! Blessings

When I first read this letter in a women's magazine I was shocked, devastated, mortified........

It took me a while to comprehend the truth in these words, but I am determined to 'clean up' my act.

No more trains!

The disease started .......... continue reading my incredibly boring history


affiliate_link



Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hornby Dublo - 2 Track Engine Shed

I have accrued quite a few buildings for the set over the years, but only one of them counts as a genuine Hornby Dublo...... at least that's what I believe at the moment.

When Hornby launched Dublo in 1938 (sadly, Mr Hornby didn't make the debut party, having gone underground by this time....... was that a sick joke or what?) - the buildings and accessories were made from wood. Hand crafted! This was shortly replaced by diecast, which was considerably easier to mass produce.

1959 saw the introduction of plastic and the engine shed was the first item to receive the oil-based treatment. and it just so happens that this is what I have for you today!




For a well used plastic building celebrating its 50th birthday, it's in pretty good nick. If I make it to 50 with only a couple of lugs missing and a loose window, I shall be mightily pleased.

There was a minor hiccough when 2-rail Dublo was introduced, in that the buildings were designed for the extra height created by the thick 3 rail track. I don't think there were too many complaints and the range of buildings soon included lower platforms for 2-rail coaches. Least-ways, no-one sued for breaking a leg whilst stepping off a train.

*************************************************

Did you know that every single second of every single day, more than 15,000 disposable nappies (diapers for the uninitiated) are thrown away. That's considerably more than 1.3 billion plastic nappies, each wrapped in its own plastic bag and transported by fleets of trucks to landfill sites around the world, every single day! ....and China and India are being targeted by the manufacturers as we speak.

It doesn't have to be this way - Click Here for the solution

*************************************************

Now, I hope you're sitting down right now (...well, they must be if they're reading this, bonehead!) ....Guess what? Yep, it's boxed. Take a look at this and then go and change your underwear:




That's worth locking yourself in the bathroom for isn't it? You don't see many boxed buildings floating around.

I have many other buildings, but they are mostly home-built or Airfix models, that do not like being boxed, moved or in anyway touched. They break easily.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, well it all comes back to me now.
    My wife has just served me up some tapioca pudding (yes, yes it is the same vintage stuff as the shedded box, sorry boxed shed). You remember tapioca don't you? I mean we would have starved, skinny kids. We made do on mutton on most days, tapioca was a treat on Saturday night before our bath, and then if dad was sober enough to get the axe in the right place, we might get roast fowl for Sunday lunch.
    Yes Hornby was the dream alright, although we made do with Fleischmann at the time (must have been cheaper).
    Well I am old enough now to INSIST on my rights, and I WILL buy a few Hornby Dublo items, and to spite them all, I will get them repainted in outlandish colours that suit ME.
    And I won't have to sell them when I am going, because nobody will want them, because they don't pass the box fetish test.
    regards
    Kimball

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Would these be the musings of a kindred spirit?

    Frog spawn for dinner though? hmmmm..... I will stick to stinging nettle and fette henne pottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, well about the stinging nettles.
    I have been coerced into watching the "cooking" show on TV, and I am going to send them this challenge. How to make up a meal from the ingredients available in a survey camp in the early 60's. Rolled oats, salted beef (not corned), custard powder, tinned pears, potatoes, stinging nettles, tinned peas, fresh parsley, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and pumpkin.
    I would love to see how they go with that lot.
    regards
    Kimball

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realised after having my shed for twenty years the roof vents are missing. Anyone got any spare, or tips how to make them from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll be lucky! I guess you'll have to start carving some balsa wood or glue a bundle of matchsticks together, unless want to be slightly more adventurous by carving a mould and pouring resin?

    ReplyDelete