Pages

The Collection - The Disease

Dear Marjorie - My husband is 46 years old and spends most of his time playing with toy trains. He doesn't pay any attention to me these days.

Dear M - You have my deepest sympathy! Unfortunately, this condition is well known and is usually terminal. Very few people ever fully recover. However, you can turn this situation to your advantage! Trainaholics are so oblivious to their surroundings that you can bring as many men back to the house as you want - your man will never know!


Whatever you do though, don't get rid of your train fanatic - they are notoriously good at paying the bills! Blessings

When I first read this letter in a women's magazine I was shocked, devastated, mortified........

It took me a while to comprehend the truth in these words, but I am determined to 'clean up' my act.

No more trains!

The disease started .......... continue reading my incredibly boring history


affiliate_link



Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hornby Dublo Boxed Set - EDG18



….and next out of the box, ladies and gentlemen, is another fine Hornby Dublo boxed set – EDG18 (Electric Dublo Goods 18).

This set has seen a bit more handling than the others so far listed and the locomotive especially, has a few paint chips that detract from its appearance.

…but not by much!

The locomotive #80054 is one of the tough and reliable 2-6-4 Class 4 Standard Tank breed dressed in the lined black BR livery.





These engines, the ‘80000 series’ were developed from the LMS Fairburn design and 155 of them were built at the Brighton, Doncaster and Derby works between 1951 and 1955.



They were put to good use throughout Britain, including commuter trains on the London, Tibury and Southend line. The last Class 4 engine was withdrawn from service in July 1967. Diesels ruled OK! Spppptttt..raspberry!

We pause here for a brief word from our sponsor:

Cure That Blasted Tinnitus! - Stop People Ringing Bells In Your Ears!

Sounds familiar? or Sounds familiar! Click for Details

On with the show:

The rolling stock in the box consists of a low sided, double bogey, 50T brick wagon #163535 in very good condition and another double-bogey wagon – this time a low loader carrying a home-made bulk tank.




The metal wheels and loco date the manufacture of this outfit to around 1954 to 61.

The box! Oh I am so sorry to the pulped paper addicts – Alas it is not perfect. It bears the scars of excited little hands prying the lid off to reveal the shiney objects and of hammering the lid back down when called down to ‘tea’.



Now here’s another little aside (of which I am quite fond you may note) – What do you call your meals?

Like the cardboard box, we all bear the scars of upbringing and tend to carry for the remainder of our lives, the baggage of nomenclature that identifies our class or status (that is, according to my dearly beloved).

There’s no getting away from breakfast, unless you are of the constitutional type that cannot consume solids before midday, but what’s the next meal called in your household?

Dinner?
Lunch?
Elevenses? Man, did this confuse me the first time I was offered potatoes and fish fingers at eleven o’clock in the morning! My carers for the day could have been beamed down from Zeta Reticulae for the plane brown confusion my young brain suffered when presented with such a platter at that time of day. Obviously, it was a trick left over from a particular work schedule and carried through into retirement.

…and now that I look at my own crazy schedule I realize that I have an even funnier meal time - ten-thirty in the morning! Starting work at 4am and finishing at 10am means that my fast isn’t truly broken until mid-morning. I wonder if we will continue this into old age? Maybe we can find some children to confuse!

Start the day with a thick, steaming cup of cocoa – that’s my advice!

Evening meal can be called either dinner or tea, but the word dares to identify your social status. If such a thing should bother you, then take care what words you use!

Back to the box – the smiling sprog on the lid of this box is playing dare with his nose on the rails and in these litigious times, ought to carry a health warning.




WARNING – do not place your nose or other bodily part on the track. Serious injury may result.

The Brake Van # 178717 is sound, but it does have a few marks of corrosion on the roof and at one end. Not serious, but it is indicative that the child lived in a damp house and was perhaps a little scrofulous methinks! (I have waited years to be able to use the word ‘scrofulous’).



The inside of the box is quite spiffy, so if you ignore the old cellotape repair on the outer lid you could say the box is half decent.

The usual minimalist track selection is included; 8 large radius curved sections and two full straights.

Train Your Cat To Use The Human Toilet! - click here

No controller – maybe someone found an alternative use for them!

Incidentally, there are several other ancient boxes in the outfit that might be of interest….. to some. This one here contained Embassy Christmas crackers manufactured by Sungrove Ltd, Wendell Road, W12, London. That must be Hammersmith. Unfortunately, I can’t find any company history to blind you with, other than it was paid for in old money (see earlier post)..





One clue to the date though, is the drawing of the kids on the box lid was done in the days when God knew best and it was believed that sunshine was good for you. Unfortunately, these kids were left out in the sun too long! Now, where did I put that bottle of calamine lotion?

1 comment:

  1. David, now here's a challenge. You said "(I have waited years to be able to use the word ‘scrofulous’)."

    How about trying the word "coruscating". Now when I was about six, my mother told me "oh well, you know everything". And with QUITE a tone of displeasure I might add, which usually mortified me. No I wasn't in a non-working refriDgerated van!!! Anyway, I certainly did not deserve that look!

    Anyway, about 56 years later I discovered my mother was correct. I was reading a newspaper correspondent in the golden year when England (or is that the MCC) won the ashes against Australia (2005/6 or sometime like that).
    He described the batting of that Petersen fellow as coruscating. That threw me, a word I had never heard of.

    Quite easy to apply to an A4, or a Duchess I would think. Or perhaps its paintwork, or its running qualities.
    regards
    Kimball

    ReplyDelete